in the Poconos
Dutot Museum & Gallery
Museum and gallery established in the area in 1870. One classroom is preserved,
as it was last used, not as a colonial restoration. Come enjoy the audio
presentation "Then and Now" as well as exhibits of a bygone
Street (Route 611) Delaware Water Gap , PA 18327
Web Site: http://www.dutotmuseum.com
Built in the Victorian Italianate architecture style in 1861, this beautiful
home was the resident of Asa Packer. Among his many accomplishments, the
multi-millionaire built the Lehigh Valley Railroad and founded Lehigh
University. Today, you will see his mansion just as it stood during Packer's
Hill Road Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.asapackermansion.com
This one room schoolhouse was built in the 1870's and housed students
until 1953. The story of early Monroe County schools is portrayed for
visitors through artifacts and guided tours.... This one room schoolhouse
was built in the 1870's and housed students until 1953. The story of early
Monroe County schools is portrayed for visitors through artifacts and
Valley Road Stroudsburg , PA 18360
Web Site: http://www.mcha-pa.org/school.html
Built in 1823, quickly became known as the "Fireproof". At that
time Bethany was the county seat of Wayne and courthouse officials felt
the need for a permanent fireproof storage building.
670 Bethany , PA 18431
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/bethanypubliclibrary/
When you step inside this one-room school circa 1872, you will go back
to a simpler time.
Orchard Grange Honesdale , PA 18431
Web Site: http://www.waynehistorypa.org
The Callahan House is said to be one of the oldest houses in Pike County,
constructed during two periods, 1790 and 1820.
209 South Milford , PA 18337
Web Site: http://www.pikechamber.com/index.html
The history of the Cresco Station goes back to 1857 when a crude depot
was built in Oakland Station (later named Cresco) for the Delaware Lackawanna
and Western Railroad that passed through. The museum has many 1800's artifacts
such as school equipment, farming tools, etc.
Spring Road / Route 390 Cresco , PA 18342
Cottage styled cross-gabled library designed by T. Rooney Williamson first
opened its doors on October 1, 1890. Microfilm newspapers from 1829-2000.
Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.dimmicklibrary.org
- Suyham Wildlife Sanctuary, Inc.
Dorflinger, founded in 1865 made lamp chimneys and other utilitarian glass
objects and by 1868, was producing fine art. Dorflinger glass was ordered
of the White House from the Lincoln administration through the Wilson
administration and is still being used in the White House today. Visitors
will see over seven hundred pieced of cut, etched, engraved, and gilded
glass produced by famed glassmaker Christian Dorflinger and his company
display in a new museum attached to Dorflinger's 1850 farmhouse.
356 White Mills , PA 18473
Phone: 570-253-1185 | Fax: 570-253-5196
Web Site: http://www.dorflinger.org
The Dreibe Freight Station is a restored 1882 freight station of the New
York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad. The train museum houses a working
train display, industrial exhibits and more.
Street Stroudsburg , PA 18360
Web Site: http://www.mcha-pa.org
Parish of St. Mark & St. John
'Designed by Richard Upjohn and constructed in 1867 -1869, this Church
is a National Historic Landmark. The building is one of the most notable
Gothic Revival churches in Pennsylvania. Of special interest is its Tiffany
window, hand-craved French limestone reredos, hand-cast brass lectern
Street Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.stmarkandjohn.org
Towers National Historic Landmark
Grey Towers, the home of Gifford Pinchot, America's first Chief Forester,
Conservationist and Pennsylvania Governor, is a National Historic Site.
Estate built on nearly 100 acres, is one of the Forest Service most significant
cultural resources. In 1963, John F. Kennedy dedicated the Pinchot Institute
for Conservation Studies as a historic landmark.
Towers Drive Route 6 Milford , PA 18337
Web Site: http://www.fs.fed.us/gt
Built in 1876, a wedding gift from his father Asa Packer. The epitome
of Victorian architecture and design.
Hill Road Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.murdermansion.com
A pristine two-mile walk begins at the perimeter of Bingham Park, proceeding
beside Lackawaxen River through the Riverside Park Natural Area, and continuing
past the historic buildings and shops of Church Street and Main
Route 6 Hawley , PA 18428
Named after Phillip Hone, former Mayor of New York and president of the
Delaware and Hudson Canal Company. Honesdale was laid out in 1826 and
was originally known as Dybery Forks. The town was incorporated in 1831.
The main purpose for existence was to have a terminal for canal barges
that carried coal to New York City markets. At one time Honesdale had
the largest stockpile of coal in the world.
Street Honesdale , PA 18431
Web Site: http://honesdaleonline.com/
Downtown Stroudsburg. Your destination for everything from distinctive
dining to fine arts. Dazzling shopping to every little down right doohickey.
Downtown Stroudsburg. A distinctly different place.
7th Street Stroudsburg , PA 18360
Web Site: http://www.stroudsburg.net
Thorpe Walking Tours
Self guided tour of the Jim Thorpe historic district that dates back to
1816. This truly picturesque town entwined in its eccentric past of millionaires
and miners, money and misery, church bells and seam whistles stays with
you when you leave and draws you back.
& Race Streets Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.jimthorpe.org
Built early 19th Century. Only ruins remain. The Turn Family lived on
this site from the early 19th century until 1945. Only three structures
from this former dairy farm remain a limekiln across the road, a smokehouse,
and the remains of the weave house.
Road Bushkill , PA 18324
Web Site: http://www.nps.gov/dewa/InDepth/Spanning/stgMRT1.html
Built in 1885, was the home of the first volunteer Fire Company in Carbon
County. Come experience the "Tourist in an Industrial Era" exhibit,
pictures of the Old Mauch Chunk area, etc. The Mauch Chunk Historical
Society purchased the building in 1994.
Broadway Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.pacoalhistory.com
Chunk Museum & Cultural Center
The Museum is housed in the former St. Paul's Methodist Church building
in the Jim Thorpe Historic District. Constructed in 1843 of red brick
with high ornate ceiling, the church is a magnificent example of Victorian
ecclesiastical architecture. The museum contains working Switchback Railroad
and canal lock models as well as museum of history of Mauch Chunk and
a display of Jim Thorpe
Broadway Street Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.mauchchunkmuseum.org
9 Mine & Museum
Tour a real coal mine ride into the mountain over 1,600 feet. 500 shaft
elevators, mule underground hospital, see an old mine chute that dates
back to 1858. Visit a mine museum with over 2,000 artifacts, tools and
Street Lansford , PA 18232
Web Site: http://no9mine.tripod.com
Built in 1871, used until 1995 as the county jail. Famous for housing
the Molly Maguires, seven Irish immigrant coal miners hanged in 1877.
Come learn the legend of the mysterious handprint that remains in the
wall as evidence of one man's innocence.
Broadway Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Phone: 570-325-5259 | Fax: 570-325-8380
Web Site: http://www.visitjimthorpe.com/new/history.htm
Mauch Chunk H.O. Model Train Display
This highly-detailed model train display features 1,087 feet of track,
over 200 structures and 100 bridges, actual moving automobiles, and an
old fashioned football stadium.
Route 209 (Next to Train Station) Jim Thorpe , PA 18229
Web Site: http://www.parailways.com
Area Heritage Center
The Palmerton Area Heritage Center features extensive historical artifacts
and documents relating to the region. Maintained and displayed by the
Palmerton Area Historical Society in the main shopping district of Plamerton.
Ave Palmerton , PA 18071
'The museum features a cross section of fishing tackle from the late 1700's
Box 485 (Route 402) Pecks Pond , PA 18328
Web Site: http://www.peckspond.com/museums.htm